Computer Awareness is one of the most important subjects that come in the Banking exam. However, not many candidates pay a great deal of attention towards this particular subject.
Computers form the basis of the working any organization in today’s age. If you are looking forward to working in a bank, then you need to have a basic understanding of computers. This is exactly what this section of the exams tests you for.
Here We have listed the important of Computer Awareness Study Material for competitive exams. Here we are providing Study Notes of Computer.
Computer Awareness Study Notes on Concept of Computer System
What is Computer?
A computer is a programmable electronic device that accepts raw data as input and processes it with a set of instructions (a program) to produce the result as output. It renders output just after performing mathematical and logical operations and can save the output for future use. It can process numerical as well as non-numerical calculations. The term “computer” is derived from the Latin word “computare” which means to calculate.
A computer is designed to execute applications and provides a variety of solutions through integrated hardware and software components. It works with the help of programs and represents the decimal numbers through a string of binary digits. It also has a memory that stores the data, programs, and result of processing. The components of a computer such as machinery that includes wires, transistors, circuits, hard disk are called hardware. Whereas, the programs and data are called software.
It is believed that the Analytical Engine was the first computer which was invented by Charles Babbage in 1837. It used punch cards as read-only memory. Charles Babbage is also known as the father of the computer.
Basic parts Of computer
The basic parts without which a computer cannot work are as follows:
- Processor: It executes instructions from software and hardware.
- Memory: It is the primary memory for data transfer between the CPU and storage.
- Motherboard: It is the part that connects all other parts or components of a computer.
- Storage Device: It permanently stores the data, e.g., hard drive.
- Input Device: It allows you to communicate with the computer or to input data, e.g., a keyboard.
- Output Device: It enables you to see the output, e.g., monitor.
Characterstics of Computer
The major characteristics of computers are the following:
• Speed : A powerful computer is capable of executing about 3 million calculations per second.
• Accuracy : A computer’s accuracy is consistently high; if there are errors, they are due to errors in instructions given by the programmer.
• Reliability : The output generated by the computer is very reliable as long as the data is reliable.
• Memory/Storage Capacity : The computer can store large volumes of data and makes the retrieval of data an easy task.
• Versatility: The computer can accomplish many different things. It can accept information through various input-output devices, perform arithmetic and logic operations, generate a variety of outputs in a variety of forms, etc.
• Automation: Once the instructions are fed into computer it works automatically without any human intervention.
• Diligence : A computer will never fail to perform its task due to distraction or laziness.
• Convenience : Computers are usually easy to access, and allow people to find information easily that without a would be very difficult.
• Flexibility : Computers can be used for entertainment, for business, by people who hold different ideals or who have varied goals. Almost anyone can use a computer, and computers can be used to assist with almost any goal